Senior Research Fellow (PhD) with specialisation on Central Asia
The Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI) seeks to further develop its portfolio on Central Asian/Eurasian economic development. To this end we want to hire a Senior Research Fellow to be affiliated with the Research Group on Russia, Eurasia and the Arctic. We are looking for a researcher with an already completed PhD in economics/political economy or a closely related field.
Desired qualifications and criteria
- In depth knowledge of Central Asian economy and politics
- Familiarity with one or more other parts of the post-Soviet space
- PhD in economics/political economy or a closely related field
- Relevant publications, including in academic peer reviewed outlets
- Experience from project acquisition and developing international research proposals
- Interest in – and ideally a proven track record of – carrying out applied research/evaluations
- Experience in organizing workshops and seminars
- Public speaking and presentation skills
- Language skills: Excellent writing and communicating skills in English. Good knowledge of Russian required, knowledge of other post-Soviet languages and/or Chinese a plus. Knowledge of Norwegian also considered a plus.
- Strong professional integrity
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong professional staff and interdisciplinary research cooperation, both nationally and internationally
- Varied and interesting work with excellent opportunities for networking, career advancement and competence-building
- Flexible working hours
- Library and research support
- Membership in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Modern facilities in central Oslo
According to NUPI’s regulations, a Senior Research Fellow is assigned the qualification level ‘1109’, which corresponds to an Associate Professor level in the Norwegian university system. Depending on qualifications, the salary range is 518,000-601,600 NOK per year before tax.
Vacancy text (betenkning) and further information
The full vacancy text below provides all necessary information regarding submission, evaluation and working conditions.Please submit your application electronically. Click on the button marked “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” on this page to begin the application process.
Deadline: 15 July 2017
NUPI is an equal opportunity employer that values staff diversity. Women and persons with minority background are particularly encouraged to apply. Necessary modifications of the physical work place can be made for persons with disabilities.