Report Launch: Norway, Asia and the global value chains
In this seminar, a NUPI report on Norway and Asia’s economic development that maps Norway’s economic relations with Asia, will be launched. The Norwegian Minister of Foreign Affairs, Børge Brende is one of the speakers.
In 2013, NUPI won the bid to undertake a study commissioned by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Norway and Asia’s economic development
. The results are now published in the form of two studies, one report and one working paper, that will be launched at this seminar. Norwegian Foreign Minister Børge Brende will also give a presentation on Government Perspectives on Asia.
The report contains a wide mapping of Asia’s growing role in the world economy and Norway’s economic relations with Asia, based on new data. In addition to this comprehensive and up-to-date overview of Norway’s economic relations with Asia, a separate working paper examines the rapid development of regional trade agreements in the region.
The publications are available here:
- Arne Melchior, Jo Thori Lind and Christine Mee Lie: Norway, Asia and the global value chains. Asia’s growth and Norway’s economic links to Asia.
NUPI Report, 111 p.
- Innwon Park: Regional trade agreements in East Asia
. NUPI Working Paper No. 823, 48 p.
Program 10.15 - 13.00:
Part 1: (Chair: Ulf Sverdrup)
- 10.15-10.25: Introduction/ welcome remarksUlf Sverdrup
, Director, NUPI
- 10.25-10.45: Presentation byBørge Brende
, Norwegian Minister of Foreign Affairs
- 10.45-11.10: Presentation of main findings from the report ”Norway, Asia and the Global Value Chains”.Arne Melchior
, Senior Research Fellow, NUPI
- 11.10-11.30: Q & A
- 11.30-11.40: Short coffee break
Part 2: (Chair: Arne Melchior)
- 11.40-12.05: Regional Trade Agreements in AsiaInnwon Park
, Professor, Korea University
- 12.05-12.30: "Developing Asia’s population aging challenge"Donghyun Park
, Asian Development Bank (ADB)
- 12.30-12.55: Discussion
- 12.55-13.00: Final remarks (TBC